Blackpool’s trams given £100m makeover
by David Masters
June 11, 2009
Blackpool’s seafront tram system is to be given a £100 million makeover.
Funding has been secured to bring the 120-year old line up to modern standards, the Department for Transport (DfT) said.
Sixteen new trams, replacement track, and extra stops will speed up journey times and make the tramway accessible to more people.
Transport minister Sadiq Khan unveiled the refurbishment plans this week – one of his first tasks since he was promoted to the cabinet.
“Investing in the tramway system is the right thing to do,” Khan said.
“These new trams will bring comfort, efficiency and modernisation to Blackpool and help the town make big strides forward.
“Blackpool has a very bright future and the Government will back the town all it can while it goes through its many regeneration projects.
“There are joyous times ahead for Blackpool and I am pleased to be the person who helps kick start the tramway investment.”
Blackpool’s tramway, owned by Blackpool Council, has been operating since 1885.
Peter Callow, leader of Blackpool Council, said: “This is a great day for Blackpool.
“Blackpool has a fantastic tram heritage and this funding will ensure that our tram network has a great future too.”
The new trams, track, and stops will be in operation by Easter 2012.
Discuss this in the Fair Home Forums
Related posts to "Blackpool’s trams given £100m makeover":
- UK homes to be offered eco-makeover
- Co-op shops given energy makeover
- Polluted US land gets $100m clean up
1 Comment »
Leave a comment
Previous: « Ospreys return to Northumberland after 200 years
Next: Fuel poverty still plagues Britain »
Visited 4026 times, 1 so far today